Electrical work falls into two categories: what they call "notifiable" work, which must be approved by the local building control officer, and non-notifiable work which does not require sign off by building control.  Both types of work, however, require full testing, inspection and distinct certification on completion.

Please note that I am currently only able to undertake non-notifiable work.

Examples of notifiable work*
Full rewire
Replacement consumer unit 
Work which takes place within a special "zone"or location, such as a bathroom or wetroom/ sauna
Any new circuit (which would require the use of a slot or "way" in the consumer unit or a new mini consumer unit) : e.g. new feed to an outbuilding or a 7000W EV charging station

All such work must be accompanied by an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) plus a Building Control Certificate of Compliance. If the work is carried out by an electrician who is registered with one of the Competent Persons Schemes (CPS) , such as that provided by NICEIC or NAPIT, the Building Control Certificate of Compliance can be applied for by the electrician: what is known as self-certification. If a non-registered electrician or DIYer wishes to undertake notifiable work, they must inform Building Control in advance of the works and then pay a substantial fee for Building Control to come out perhaps more than once to inspect and test the works. Many councils now lack the resources to offer such inspections and the advice is generally to use an electrician who is registered with one of the schemes; they can self-certify the work, and save the customer having to pay building control fees.
Examples of non-notifiable work*
Simpler work can, however, be undertaken by non CPS-registered electricians, provided they possess the skills and knowledge to carry out regulations-compliant work: such work is referred to as Minor Electrical Works and includes, but is not limited to:

Any like-for-like replacement of electrical fixtures and accessories, e.g. sockets and switches, replacement of miniature circuit breaker (MCB) of exactly the same rating as before
Any additions to or modest extensions of an existing circuit such as new sockets, lighting points or switches (provided they do not pass through a special location)
Any remedial work to existing circuit wiring (e.g. replacing damaged cable) in permitted locations

*Refers to works undertaken in England only: different distinctions apply in Wales and Scotland.

All such work needs to be installed according to the current version of the Building Regulations (BS7671) and fully tested and inspected. However, it requires a simpler form of certification and does NOT require a Building Control Certificate of Compliance:
The Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (abbreviated to MEIW):
Usually simply known as a "Minor Works" certificate, this is a single page form, with an additional explanatory page for the customer. 
I am able to undertake and test all aspects of minor electrical work and can issue compliant certification. 
This extremely useful video from much respected online training resource, Learn Electrics , explains precisely what the Minor Works Certificate consists of. More information about certification in general can be found here >>>
Below is an example of a standard Minor Works Certificate, reproduced from the IET website 
Back to Top